Debate motion is the topic or the title of the debate. It is always set by someone else and not the debaters, so that no one in the debate has any specific knowledge about the topic. The topics should not be too narrow, because all debaters should be able to debate the motion, meaning that they have the basic knowledge about the topic.
Well, you can have different ones, for the British parliamentary debate we normally use motions that start with This house would (THW) or This house believes (THB), this house is taken from the British parliament. Open motions are those, where the government has a lot of space to define what they would like to debate about. An open motion would be “THW open the doors”, and closed motion would be “THB that the EU should do more to promote condoms to help prevent the spreading of HIV/AIDS in Africa”. You will find more articles about “how to debate” on this website, so just browse the menus on the top and on the left.
1) THBT ASEAN nations should accept Burmese refugees
2) TH should accept migrants even if they do not respect laws of polygamy
3) THW give asylum to sexual minorities
1) THW compel children to care for their parents
2) THW allow minors to apply to be recognized as adults before they reach the age of majority
3) THBT individuals who have undergone cosmetic surgery should be required to declare it to anyone whom they want to have children with
1) THBT it’s time the US recognize Hamas as a legitimate representative of
2) THBT the National League for Democracy (NLD) should not boycott the
elections in Burma
3) THBT the leaders of nations that stockpile agricultural products for
economic gain while global hunger persists should be charged with crimes against
1) THBT doctors should be obligated to report suspected cases of domestic
2) THBT doctors should not be forced to perform medical procedures that are
against their faith
3) THW ban treatments that claim to cure homosexuality
1) THBT post conflict societies should recruit rebel soldiers into state
2) THBT it is justified to represent fallen regimes as absolutely evil in
3) THW confiscate property of those who cooperated with oppressive regimes
after the fall of the regime
1) THW pay youth to not migrate from rural areas to urban centres
2) THW impose a prohibitive tax on car ownership (i.e. making car ownership
3) THW impose curfews in high crimes areas
1) THBT western liberal democracies should ban online anonymity
2) THBT the willingness to participate in formal public election debates
should be a pre-requisite for candidates running for national office
3) THW ban ads that use sex to sell products
1) THBT Harry Potter has done more harm than good for literature
2) THBT important characters in movies should be portrayed by actors of the
3) THW impose a minimum age for pop stars
1) THW ban websites that do your assignments for you
2) THBT governments should totally ban smoking
3) THW ban hymen reconstruction surgery
1) THBT the right to free speech does not extend to offending religion
2) THBT religious organizations should pay taxes on donations received and
3) THBT the Pope should be prosecuted for the crimes of Roman Catholic
THBT technology is a threat to individual privacy.
THBT technological advances will be sufficient to overcome our
THBT computerization will improve living standards throughout the world.
THBT world government is the best solution to international problems.
THW expand the permanent membership of the UN Security Council.
THS the use of military forces as the solution to persistent
THS Three Gorges Dam construction.
THBT China is showing more leadership than America in the fight
against climate change.
THBT the development of natural resources ought to be valued above the
protection of the environment.
THBT physically challenged people should not be separated in schools.
THBT today’s educational system is inadequate for the needs of today’s society.
THBT high school students should have to pass a national exit exam to graduate.